Do-it-yourself oil pump replacement for a VAZ-2109
While driving a car, various situations may occur. Some units can be repaired, but most require replacement (full or partial). The oil pump on the VAZ-2109 is maintainable; in case of failure, you can simply repair it. One thing to keep in mind: it is forbidden to drive a car with a worn oil pump. This will lead to the destruction of the valve mechanism, the crank. But you can repair the unit yourself and spend a little money and effort on it.
Where is the pump located?
On the VAZ-2109, it is installed at the bottom of the engine. Or rather, from the side of the gas distribution mechanism, near the crankshaft pulley. Actually, the pump drive gear is driven from it.
Access to the mechanism is closed; to disassemble it, it will be necessary to remove the plastic protection, the generator drive pulley and the timing belt. The pump housing is fixed with six bolts. An oil scraper plug of a special design is installed for cleaning and pumping oil from the sump.
How to understand that the pump is out of order?
The first sign of a pump failure is a warning light on the dashboard. Please note that there is no comparator in the "nines", so the current pressure value cannot be calculated without special equipment. For diagnostics, it is necessary to use a comparator, which must be connected instead of a standard sensor. Note that a knock will be heard during operation without lubrication.
What to do if a breakdown occurs?
If you are caught by such a malfunction, you need to perform the following manipulations:
- Stop and turn off the engine.
- Wait until all the oil in the engine glass has returned to the sump. Check level. If it is below normal, you need to reboot.
- Start the engine.
- Pay attention to the control lamp: if extraneous noise is still on, then this is clearly a malfunction of the oil pump.
In some cases, clogging of the oil receiving network is possible. In fairness, it should be noted that the pump is a mechanism in which there is nothing to break – it is a steel case and two gears. They will be able to "survive" even a tenfold increase in loads, long-term operation without lubrication. But the oil receiver is often clogged, the lubricant simply does not enter the pump.
But still, you will have to test the disk so as not to shoot in vain. The first step is to check the pressure in the system. Install any suitable pressure gauge and record the pressure. If it is low, the drive will need to be repaired. The second stage is to check the condition of the oil collection network. To do this, put the car in an inspection hole, completely drain the oil and remove the pan. To disassemble it, you will have to unscrew all the bolts with a key to “10". When installing, it is recommended to use a new rubber gasket.
Why does a pump fail?
There are several reasons for the failure of the pressure reducing valve and the oil pump on the VAZ-2109:
- Excessively low oil pressure.
- Pressure sensor failure.
- Poor quality motor oil.
- Using a lubricant that is not suitable for the vehicle.
- Faulty safety or lubrication valve.
- Dirty oil filter.
- Clogged oil sump.
Please note that the drip tray must be removed and cleaned to avoid blockages. Pump failure can be caused by the following faults:
- If the rubber seal is damaged.
- If the oil filter is loose.
- With excessive wear of the parts of the VAZ-2109 oil pump.
- In case of failure of the pressure reducer.
Replacing the pump on the "nine"
To replace, you will need keys for "13" and "10", heads, extensions and cardan shafts. You may also need screwdrivers, a wheel wrench, a jack, fasteners, and wedges. To drain the oil, you will need a container with a volume of at least 5 liters.
- Disconnect the negative terminal from the battery.
- Loosen the alternator drive belt and remove it.
- Pour the oil into a container. If there is, remove the guard.
- Remove the tray.
- At this stage, it is necessary to inspect the oil receiving network. If it is clogged, then, most likely, further disassembly will not be necessary. You just need to install a new receiver or clean the old one. It makes no sense to install a new pump, since the malfunction is clearly not in it.
- Loosen and remove the timing belt.
- We remove the oil pan.
- Remove all 6 bolts that secure the pump housing to the motor block. Please note that there are washers at the bottom. Don’t lose them.
- Now you can completely remove the VAZ-2109 oil pump.
Assembly is carried out in the reverse order. It is advisable to check the coincidence of marks on the crankshaft and camshafts. Now you know how to change the oil pump for a VAZ-2109 (injector). On completion of the car carburetor, all work is done in exactly the same way.